Shamrock Sandwich Butter Cookies
This Shamrock cookie is a crisp cookie and very sweet. They can be made as sandwich cookies or as single cut outs. Mint Chocolate Ganache is a great filling for a sandwich cookie. Recipe is best when using pure butter and not margarine.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 9-11 minutes
- Total Time: 25-30 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies or 12 sandwich cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
¾ cup butter, softened- tested Land O Lakes
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-3 oz box Lime gelatin dessert-dry- tested Jell-O®
2 cups all purpose flour
Filling: Mint Chocolate Ganache
1 cup chocolate mini morsels
½ cup heavy whipping cream
4 unwrapped Andes Mints®, grated
Desired garnish- green sprinkles, grated Andes Mints ®
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, sugar, extract, gelatin powder and egg in large mixing bowl on medium speed.
- Lower speed gradually add flour.
- Beat until mixture leaves the sides of the bowl.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using floured shamrock cookie cutter cut out cookies.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes.
- Cool cookies before frosting- cookies will be hard.
- Ganache Filling:
- In microwave safe bowl, microwave cream for 40 seconds on high until very hot, not boiling.
- Add chocolate morsels to warm cream.
- Stir to combine, mixture will be runny at first, keep stirring until thickened.
- Mixture will be soft and glossy.
- Allow ganache to firm slightly.
- Add shaved Andes Mints to mixture to flavor or use 1/ 4 teaspoon mint extract.
Stir to blend in flavor.
- When chocolate is thickened, spread on one side of cookie, add remaining cookie to make a sandwich.
Depending on size of cookie cutter determines the yield amount. The Shamrock Cookie cutter used for this recipe was 2.5 inches in diameter.
To Make Jello Shots:
Prepare one package of lime jello according to package. Pour jello into square 2 x 2″ dessert dishes and place at a slant in the refrigerator. ( I used a muffin tin to angle the container without spilling the gelatin). Chill until set/firm. Garnish with fresh whipped cream and chopped Ande’s Mints or Mini Chocolate Chips. Keep chilled until ready to serve. Yield: 4- servings.