Need something special to serve as an appetizer or with soups and salads? This is it! Super easy recipe, food processor mix, roll and cut dough, bake and eat. You will love this recipe with soups and salads. Watch video below.
Cheddar Cheese, butter and cayenne pepper make these savory cheese spoons a big hit anytime you serve them. Also known as cheese straws these crispy treats can be pressed from a cookie press in the various shapes or rolled and cut into spoons. Very festive and crisp to eat with salads, soups, dips or just served alone on a large platter.
How to Make Cheddar Cheese Straw Spoons
Sharp cheddar cheese with cayenne pepper is a great combination. I have also used white cheddar with the sharp cheddar with a touch of blue cheese to make the straws really burst with flavor. The cayenne pepper is a must though, they would not taste the same if you didn’t have a little bit a cayenne.
To make these straws, the food processor is the best way to go. It’s quick and easy when using shredded cheddar. Once you process the mix, the dough will form a ball inside the bowl of the processor. Remove the dough and cut in half, shape into flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 15 minutes.
After the chill, roll the dough on a floured surface with rolling pin to 1/8″ thickness. With a spoon cookie cutter, cut into spoon shapes. At this point if you don’t have a spoon cookie cutter, you can use any shape cutter or cookie press to make decorative straws.
Bake the spoons in the preheated oven at 325 for 10-12 minutes. Sprinkling the spoons with sesame seeds will add to the decor and crunch of the straws but is optional.
These are so delicious will might want to double the recipe.
Here ya go! Enjoy this recipe.Print
Three Cheese Spoons Appetizers
Savory cheddar cheese dough is rolled, and cut into spoon shapes, baked with sesame seeds to create a crusty unique cracker for soups and salads.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 -10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 40 spoons 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Food Processor/Baking
- Cuisine: American
16 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
1 stick butter- land a lakes
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more as desired
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
Garnish: white sesame seeds-optional
- In food processor with steel blade, or with a mixer, cream the butter and cheeses until fluffy and smooth. Add cayenne, salt and flour and process the dough until the dough gathers inside the bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 25 minutes or longer. When ready to roll out, the dough should be pliable and easy to roll. You might need to knead the dough to make it pliable and easier to roll.
- Roll dough on flour surface to a little more than 1/8 inch thick – these will puff slightly during baking. (¼ inch is to thick, unless you want a thicker spoon)
- Cut desired shapes using cookie cutters or a spoon cut out.
- On a parchment lined double baking sheet space each spoon 1/4 inch apart. Brush spoon with water then sprinkle with sesame seeds or other grain.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and brown. Allow to cool on pan before removing to avoid breakage.
Store in airtight container after cooled. This dough can be pressed from a cookie press for a festive shapes using a shell disc or preferred design. Adjust baking time if using small shapes to 8 minutes.
These freeze well. Serve with soups, salads or as an appetizer.
Keywords: cheese straws, baking, cheddar cheese, soup, salads
Other ideas you might like to try:
Pesto Goat Cheese Bird’s Nest Appetizer