Whether entertaining at home or hosting Thanksgiving, serving these reuben pinwheels will make everyone glad you did. These could not be easier to make. Packaged puff pastry filled with deli corn beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese rolled into a pinwheel takes moments to make. Baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes make wonderful appetizers.
Reuben Pinwheels Sliced for Individual Servings
If you don’t want to make pinwheels, create a Reuben Loaf. You can either make your own dough or use puff pastry, ingredients are the same, just the braid is different.
Reuben sandwiches usually are made with rye bread, layers of shaved corned beef, Swiss Cheese slices, drained kraut drizzled with thousand island dressing.
All the same ingredients in this recipe just the dough is puff pastry and not rye bread. Easy recipe for entertaining.
Best Reuben Pinwheel Appetizer
Packaged frozen puff pastry is thawed, layered with thousand island dressing, deli sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese, and kraut. Rolled like a jelly roll, sliced and baked. Caraway seed is sprinkled over the tops of the individual rolls.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20 -1/2" slices 1x
- Category: Bread-Meat Appetizer
- Method: Roll & Bake
- Cuisine: Ameican
1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg +1 teaspoon water- egg wash
1/8 to 1/4 cup thousand island dressing + 1 cup for serving with pinwheels
1/2 pound deli sliced corned beef
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix egg wash, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On lightly floured surface place semi-thawed puff pastry sheet. Keep remaining pastry covered with wet paper towel until ready to prepare.
- Spread dressing over entire surface of pastry leaving 1/2″ around all edges of pastry.
- Layer corned beef, shredded Swiss cheese, and kraut over the dressing in order listed, up to 1/2″ on all sides.
- Carefully roll pastry into a jelly roll. Cut pastry roll into individual 1/2″ slices.
- Place slices on baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with thousand island dressing in side dish if desired.
- Do not roll puff pastry. You will decrease the lift or flakiness of the pastry.
- Keep pastry chilled while working on one sheet at a time. Cover with wet paper towel to help keep moist.
- Can be baked and frozen for make ahead. Reheat in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes to crisp.
- But for best results bake and serve immediately.
Hope you will try this recipe. They are delicious. Great for Christmas Open House too.