Whether you need a special dessert for the Holidays or at home for family, this dessert will make everyone happy. Chocolate ganache covers a frozen half sphere dome of No bake Peppermint Cheesecake mousse and chocolate mint cookie. Takes just moments to make and keeps frozen until 45 minutes before serving. Your guests & family will think you are a genius!
Couldn’t resist had to take a bit, plus I wanted you to see the inside of the dome.
What is a dome dessert?
Dome cakes or desserts are made with silicone mold half sphere rounds. Usually the mold is filled with mousse, ice creams, even lined with chocolate to make hot cocoa bombs.
With this recipe, the filling is piped into the mold and a 2-1/2 inch round peppermint cookie is placed on top of the filling to serve as a base for the dessert. Once the dessert is completely frozen it is removed from the mold and covered with melted ganache.
*Make cookies first before making mousse, if you decide to use this recipe.
You can store these domes once frozen in a covered container in the freezer. About an hour or two before you are ready to serve, coat the bombs with ganache.
**If you freeze the domes with ganache for long period of time, the chocolate will seize up causing small little white bubbles on your smooth shiny chocolate. Also, the peppermint candy will bleed and not be pretty.
For best results, cover the domes with ganache the day they will be served. While ganache is wet, sprinkle with chopped candy cane pieces.
Chopped and crushed peppermint candy canes will stick to the top of the dome if ganache is not set and is the perfect garnish for this dessert. Whatever your filling is, that should be repeated in the garnish. So people will know what they are getting. Example, if raspberry mousse, then a cluster of small fresh raspberries should be the garnish.
Chocolate Ganache Peppermint Cheesecake Dome Dessert
Creamy peppermint no bake cheesecake mousse with chocolate peppermint cookie fills a ganache covered dome dessert. You will need a half sphere mold- 2-1/2 ” round to make this dessert.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes if baking cookies
- Cook Time: Cookie bake 8-10 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 6- half sphere mini desserts 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Whipping and freeze
- Cuisine: American
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon crème bouquet or clear vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon LorAnn peppermint oil or 1/2 teaspoon extract
1– 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
4–5 Crushed peppermint canes for garnish
6–1/2” round peppermint cookie (or dark chocolate cookie or cake round)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers
Make chocolate cookie recipe or purchase 2-1/2″ round cookies.
Make Peppermint Mousse
- With a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat softened cream cheese on high until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, peppermint oil (or extract) until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip chilled heavy cream with whisk attachment of hand held electric mixer. Whip until soft peaks form. Add corn syrup, and crème bouquet (or vanilla extract) continue beating until stiff peaks.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Return mixture to mixing bowl with whisk attachment add remaining half of whipped cream. Beat just to blend.
- Pipe with large round tip the mousse into silicone sphere 3/4 full. Top with chocolate cookie the same size as sphere diameter 2-1/2″. Press the top of cookie gently level with top of mold.
- Place mold on a small baking sheet and freeze until totally frozen at least 60 minutes or longer.
In 2 cup glass mixing cup, pour heavy cream. Microwave 30 seconds to warm. Do not boil cream. Remove from microwave and add chocolate melting wafers. Let cream and chocolate sit for 5 minutes, then stir until thick and creamy. Mixture should be pourable but not to thin or too thick.
Assemble Dome Desserts
- Crush or chop peppermint candy canes, set aside.
- Remove frozen domes from freezer. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cooling rack grid. Carefully un-mold dessert domes from mold and place on grid/cooling rack about 2″ apart. You will be pouring the ganache over the domes so allow space between each dome.
- Pour melted ganache over the frozen domes coating all sides. Immediately sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy canes.
- Return to freezer to set until serving time.
To Serve: Remove from freezer 25 minutes before serving for a creamy chilled dessert.
Recipe can be doubled.
Domes can be made ahead and frozen up to 2 weeks without ganache. Cover domes with ganache an hour or two before serving.
Keywords: chocolate, dome, cookies, peppermint, mousse, candy canes
Decorate your table in white and silver for an elegant dinner party. Use white chargers, (found at Hobby Lobby) silver and white polka dot dinner plates ( I used disposable plastic, check out link), and a lace edged dessert plate from Pier 1 that I purchased years ago.
The centerpiece is a white grapevine wreath, with white, and off white -goldish-silver ornaments, faux white poinsettias and berry stems. Inside the wreath on a large round platter held the silver-soft gold ornaments, some were shiny and some matte. Lots of sparkle. The silver rimmed coffee cups & saucers came from my inventory.
Very simple to put together and budget friendly.
Enjoy! Let me know if you make this dessert or table scape. xoxo
Helping you Make a Statement, Make it Sassy and Make it Your’s. ®
Thanks for reading and subscribe to lizbushong.com to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Other Peppermint Ideas you might like to try:
Peppermint Biscotti as Gifts