Simple ingredients from your pantry makes this recipe quick to make. Eggs, flour, sugar, and butter mixed into a soft dough is chilled to firm, then rolled into 1/4″ thickness. Heart shaped metal cookie cutters in assorted sizes makes your creativity go wild. I used three sizes, medium, small and mini heart shaped cutters. Another great source for metal cookie cutters, Made in the USA, is Ann Clarke’s Cookie Cutters.
Smart cookie recipe … three different colors.
Ok this is one smart cookie recipe meaning the decor of the cookie is baked-in or on top of the raw dough plus… its one dough tinted in three different colors. I used super red, electric pink and left 1/3 of the dough natural or no coloring.
To make the small hearts marbled, leftover scraps of dough in all three colors are rolled together and cut out. Placing the raw dough on top of raw dough gave a three dimensional look to the cookies. So much fun to make, no need to frost or use sprinkles unless you want to.
How did you make the tiny bows?
Using an off set spatula really helps make the back side of bows smooth and level. Lightly spray the mold with cooking spray then press the dough into the mold. Smooth top with spatula, flip over mold and gently push out the tiny bow. I placed the bow on the cookie before baking the cookies, they baked together making it one cookie. Baking the cookies at 350 for 8 minutes or less if you are baking mini cookies.
Mini Cookie Bow baked on top of mini heart shaped cookie.
Mix and match dough colors to create your own festive cookies.
Mini heart cutters cut out shapes from two different dough colors and reversed to create the red and natural look.
To make the the elongated hearts on top of cookies, pinch one end of the dough, bake the two together. Do not cut out the hearts in the base heart, just lay on top of cookie then bake.
Mixing the three tinted cookie doughs together will create the marbled look.
How to Serve the Cookies.
In the mix of the assorted valentine cookies are mini brownies decorated like a chocolates. .Print
Valentine’s Day One Cute Cookie Recipe
Red, pink and natural butter cookie dough is rolled and cut into assorted heart shapes creating mix and match cookies, from tiny bows to mini hearts.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + chill 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 44 minute
- Yield: 2-3 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert-Valentine Cookie
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Tools needed: Mini heart silicone mold for tiny bows, assorted heart shaped cookie cutters.
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder-tested Rumford
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks)-not margarine-tested: Land o Lakes salted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or creme bouquet flavoring
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Super red and electric pink food gel coloring
Making the Cookies
- With a stand mixer prepare cookie dough, cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and flavoring.
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix well.
- Divide dough into three equal sections, tint one with super red, second one electric pink and leave the last third natural. Flatten into square disc and wrap with plastic wrap, chill for 45 minutes. ( longer the chill the colors will intensify)
- Remove from chill, and on floured surface roll one color of choice to 1/4″ thickness. Cut into desired shapes, place shapes on parchment lined baking sheet, set aside. Repeat with remaining dough squares.
- Decorate each cookie with cut outs from other tinted cookie shapes. To make the marbled look, roll all scrapes of dough together and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on rack. Serve.
*no need to frost or sprinkle with sprinkles unless you want to.
*Store cookies in air tight container, can bake and freeze ahead.